Sunday, September 17, 2017

Joe's Cocoa




This is card 3 for the 2017 Fall Coffee Lover's Bloghop
&
The Daily Marker 30 Day Coloring Challenge


There is a story behind today's card.  My son Joe lives in Japan and has been there for some time now.  He served in the Navy for eight years and is currently taking college classes and loves the country.  However, he became quite ill over the past six months and we found out he had the same thing happen to his right ear that happened to his left ear before joining the military.  Cholesteatoma!  Basically it disintegrates the ear drum, the inner ear bones, and finally penetrates the mastoid, which is fatal.  Joe needed surgery right away and of course I could not fly to Japan to be at his bedside.  Heart wrenching to say the least.  Surgery went well but he has some complications and is still in the hospital after 12 days.  He video chatted me last night and looks much better than he did but it rips my heart out not being there for him.

He asked me what I've been doing lately and I explained making cards for the 2017 Fall Coffee Lover's Hop of course.  He wanted me to explain all about it and I obliged.  He then said, "Mom, make me a Hot Cocoa card ok"?  I said but of course.  We always say to each other, "You're my heart" and that's why I have all those hearts on the card.  The picture is some how flipped and makes it appear to be his left ear but it's his right.  So that's the story.  He will probably wince at me for posting his pic but I'm his momma and I can do whatever I want...lol

Love You Joe
You're My Heart


I also want to shout out a Thank You to Pamela Ho of www.fishydesign.wordpress.com for the inspiration for this card.  I cased hers from Mama Elephant's Blog Hop Day 2.

I used the following products to make this card:

Stamping Bella Ramona and Her Wagon Stamp.
I colored her with Zig Clean Color Markers and followed the packaging for the color map.
Paper Sweeties But First, Coffee Stamp Set.
Reverse Confetti Happy Harvest Stamp Set.
Top Dog Dies Coffee Die Set.
ART-C Alphabet Set.
Stampin' Up Early Espresso Ink Pad.
Vellum.
White Embossing Powder.
Glossy Accents.



29 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story behind your card. Healing vibes for you son! Love your card :)

    Thank you for sharing!!
    ~Shanna
    www.caffeinatedcraftiness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww....thanks so much for sharing the story behind your SWEET card. I hope that your boy gets well soon.

    Your comment about being his Momma and doing what you want...I'm so that way with my 2 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cynthia:
    This is a really fun card.
    Blessings,
    Karen L
    I have a giveaway on my blog for the Coffee Hop.
    www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your boy get well soon! Such a pretty and well designed card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinita. He will I'm sure, I have faith. The card was fun to make.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how scary. ((HUGS)) Mama, mine is currently in Okinawa and so. I am so glad they caught this early enough to fix it and he will be so tickled when he receives your hug in the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for the HUGS Stacy. It's so hard when they are so far away as I'm sure you can relate with him being in Okinawa. Sending you HUGS too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely stunning card! Love all the details, great BG you created. And the sweet little birdie hitching a ride, adorable! *hugs* for you and Joe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a super awesome card and thanks for sharing your story. All the best to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow... so awesome card! And hugs to you... as a mom, I can imagine how hard it would be to not be able to be there... mine are just across the country and that is hard, but to be across the world... love to you and Joe and wishes for a speedy recovery... well.. speedier ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh biggest hugs!!! I can hear in your voice how badly you'd love to be by his side - I would too if it was my boy! Love the card and the story behind it - tell him get well soon from Alberta CANADA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Cynthia, for sharing your story with us and i do hope your son has a full recovery. The card you mad hi is special and I hope you send it to him. Will send some positive vibes his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Hetty. I definitely plan on mailing it to him.

      Delete
  12. Super cute card!! Wishing your son a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Im sure your son will be better soon. so sorry you can not go Japan to be with him.
    card is very pretty. Im sure he will love it!
    lots of hugs to you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joe will love the card and so do I. We have more in common then coffee. My son Joe and his family live in Japan too, so when any of them are ill or in the hospital it is so hard to not be able to be with them. So you have my sympathy on how you missed him and was wishing you could be there in person to support him. Thanks for sharing your card and story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww!!! Awesome card!!! Love it!!!
    I hope that your son gets well soon!!!

    ReplyDelete